Sorry for my silence lately. It’s not that there aren’t things to say, it’s just that I have been caught up in a vortex of college doom. On Joey’s insistence, I’m dropping a class, and things should normalize themselves presently. Hopefully everything that has been getting short shrift recently will finally receive the attention it deserves.
Anyway, here’s some GOOD news from Laura’s world:
- My job is my saving grace. Seven hours a week of guilt-free hanging out time with awesome people all trying to serve and let themselves be served. In other words, I work at the front desk of a homeless shelter.
- Post-graduation plans are not getting any easier, but they are getting more clear. ND had its annual post-grad service fair, and after a couple hours of roaming I am pretty convinced that service programs and I will not be able to accommodate each other. This was a painful realization, for all the reasons I mentioned here, but at least some of my lingering questions about what my options are have been resolved.
- Speaking of that post, thank you guys SO SO much for all your sweet, encouraging comments. It’s nice to be reminded that people have faith in me and my future. Reading back through that post, I realized that I am my own accuser. Most of my discomfort with my lack of plans comes more from my own deep-seated need for success than from anything anyone has said to me. So, thanks for not being critical. Thanks for supporting me. I could learn from your example.
- My mom and I have officially procured plane tickets to go to my cousin’s wedding in Texas at the end of the month. We’re very excited! We’ve missed a lot of family milestones recently due to circumstances out of our control, so it feels awesome to be able to be there for Christina and Gary’s wedding. Mom, especially, is looking forward to seeing her siblings. I’m so grateful that we were able to make this work despite economic woes.
- I have discovered Awake tea lattes at *$s. Oh, so good! As awesome is black tea already is, this way it comes steeped in hot milk instead of water… mmmm. They sweeten it for you, but I add a packet or two of raw sugar because I’m from the South, y’all.
- Lest you all think that being a college student is all work and no fun (HA!), I want you to know that I have had several awesome weekends recently. Well, Friday night- Saturdays, since Sundays are homework days. But weekends nonetheless! Just this weekend, I sang at a charity benefit for the local Catholic Worker, nom nommed awesome Irish food at Fiddlers, and watched my boys in gold somehow pull another victory out of nowhere. We have also been making good use of that Star Trek Voyager DVD set I got for my birthday. Hurray, weekends!
Anyway, a research paper on the Church of the Holy Sepulchre is calling my name, and it isn’t going to write itself. Peace out, hombres. I leave you with this thought: